We buy no more salad dressing from stores! Think about all those genetic modified canola oil, modified corn starch, refined sugar, preservatives, colours, chemical table salt….etc, NO THANKS! Besides, once you got used to the idea of mixing your own salad dressings, it actually doesn’t take you long to mix one! Usually only a few minutes or so. And the benefits well worth the time! Try this delicious one with your salad or noodles =)
- a bunch of green onions
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup organic raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix it well until creamy.
I avoid using canned food most of the time as there are no live vitamins and enzymes inside. Besides, there are substances in the can that might be harmful to us. However, I do use canned coconut milk occasionally. According to the book of “Nourishing Traditions“, coconut oil “are nature’s best source of lauric acid, an essential saturated fatty acid that enhances the immune system and protects us against viruses, yeasts, parasites and other pathogens in the gut”. Therefore, do choose whole coconut milk, not low fat ones! Also, choose the one with no additives.
- 1 can whole coconut milk
- 1/2 cups organic peanut butter
- 1 tbsp organic soya sauce
- 1 tsp unrefined sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, grated
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
Place all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir constantly. Remove from heat and keep warm. Enjoy it with beef, pork, chicken, rice or noodle.
Arrowroot is a white powder made from the root of a West Indian plant, Marantha arundinacea. It looks and feels very much like cornstarch, only that it is more easier to digest and contains less carbonhydrates. It also contains calcium and other nutrients. It is a good food for babies. I use it to replace cornstarch now as it also is a thickening agent, which is flavorless and becomes clear when cooked.
The powder should be mixed with a cool liquid before being put into a soup/sauce. And it should be added towards the end since overcooking can destroy its thickening property.
Arrowroot powder can usally be found in the health food aile.
It’s this time of the year again! STRAWBERRIES =D~~ Whenever we see lots of fresh ripe strawberries, we think of this soup. We make this every year. Only this time we made it with our own strawberries! Isn’t that something!? =)
1. Wash and hull berries. Puree them in a blender or just cut them into small pieces.
2. Bring about 3 cups of water to boil, put in tapioca. Simmer till tapioca becomes transparent. Strain. Let cool water run through the tapioca in the strainer for awhile. Strain again.
3. Put strawberries, juice, tapioca, cinnamon and lemon peel in a pot. Heat and stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
4. Mix arrowroot with a bit of water and add to the mixture. Cook until thickened.
5. Remove the pot from heat. Let cool for awhile.
6. Add in sugar/honey, lemon juice and buttermilk. Blend well.
7. Let cool and chill for at least 8 hours.
This is a winning dressing at our home! We use it with everything like salad, noodles, rice, bread, etc. There’s flax oil in the dressing, therefore, it’s not supposed to be cooked! ENJOY =)~~
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce
- 2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp green onions or chives, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil or cold-pressed peanut oil
- 2 tsp expeller-expressed flax oil
Place all ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously.
* taken from “Nourishing Traditions“
A simple tasty nutritious snack! Just mix and enjoy!
- 1 cup whole plain yogurt (get the one with the highest fat, why?)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder (one powerful spice, why?)
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tsp bee pollen (superfood! click to know more!)
Talking about healthy drink, of course I have to mention about our tea: Rise and Shine Tea, Sleepy Time Tea and Red Raspberry Tea, click to know about their benefits!
Simply add in 1 to 2 tsps of the premixed herbs in an infuser/tea ball to 1 cup of hot water. And let it steep for 6 to 10 mins. You can always add in some raw honey and milk to enhance the taste! However, remember not to add honey while the tea is too hot, as too much heat can destroy its antibacterial properties. Our children love the tea as much as we do!
Fruit juices of any kind are not good for us and our children. Mix some healthy drinks yourself!
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1tbsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp raw honey
Sweet potatoes and potatoes skin are very nutritious. Buy organic and so you can eat them!
- organic sweet potatoes
- organic potatoes
- cottage cheese (avoid low fat)
- whole milk
- unsalted cultured butter
- minced garlic (optional)
Wash and scrub the sweet potatoes and potatoes well. Steam them with skin until soft. Put them in a large bowl along with other ingredients. Mash them well.
- 400g sweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour)
- 3/4 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 cup unrefined sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Put all the ingredients except sliced almonds into a large bowl and mix well with a mixer. Pour the batter ito a greased 9″x13″ baking pan. Spread the sliced almonds on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 mins.
We Praise We Live We Work We Sing